- Apply the principles of business writing.
- Function as a team to develop solutions for complex project based problems.
- Apply the principles, techniques, and tools commonly used by effective project management teams in the construction industry.
Students in this course learn the objectives that define a successful project using varying delivery methods in commercial building construction. Students will learn how to use the tools the project manager uses to successfully manage the construction of a building project.
Learning Model Architecture
All courses ;at BYU-Idaho, including online courses, follow a pattern of learning that enables students to take more responsibility for their own learning and for helping to teach one another. This pattern is called the Learning Model. Here is a webpage to help you better understand the Learning Model: Learning Model interactive tutorial.
- Textbook. B. Jackson (2010). Construction Management JumpStart, 2nd Edition, Wiley Publishing, Inc., Indianapolis, ISBN 978-0-470-60999-6. You must purchase this book as a PDF, and you will read the book in Bluebeam.
- Microsoft Software. A number of assignments must be completed using Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Bluebeam. A number of assignments and all of your reading will be completed in Bluebeam (BB). You have several options for gaining access to BB.
- As a student, Bluebeam eXtreme can be purchased through the Bluebeam website for $99.
- You can obtain a semester long student license for free. Download Bluebeam eXtreme's 30 day free trial and then let your instructor know you need a license key. The key will be emailed to you. It is good for the semester. One thing to consider is that Bluebeam is required in the Specs and Plans class, in Capstone, and in Construction Law.
- If you have an iPad, you may download the Bluebeam app for around $10. Check the app store for latest prices. The app is only available for iPads.
- If you are an on-campus student, you may use the University labs to access Bluebeam.
Compare prices for your textbooks through the University Store Price Comparison site. They will show you all of the options from the University Store plus several online options to help you find the best price.
Your final grade will be according to the following table:
Fractional grades will be rounded to the nearest whole percentage.
|Group Meeting Report||32|
|Exams (Midterm and Final)||290|
There are several assignments in this course where you will be working with a group. During Lesson 3, you will be automatically assigned to a team. On most team projects, you will be required to work together and submit your own copy of the assignment to get credit. Contact your instructor if you have questions about your group. You can find your group by clicking More Tools -> Groups.
The instructor reserves the right to change any part of this syllabus at any time during the semester in order to adapt to changing course needs. You will be notified prior to any changes that may take place.